Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Getting your Canadian passports certified


The new IRS regulations call for dependents requiring an ITIN, through the W-7 form, when submitting your US tax return.

However, under earlier rules, a notarized copy of the passport and other supporting documents was sufficient for applying the ITIN using the W-7 form. However, under the new rules updated in January 2013, the IRS is now asking that the supporting documents be certified by the original issuing authority. For example, if you are a Canadian national wishing to submit a Canadian passport as a supporting document, you need to get the Canadian passport certified by the Canadian Consulate.

This is how I did it:

Being a Canadian national, I looked for the Canadian consulate closest to my location, which was the Miami consulate at 200 South Biscayne Blvd, Ste 1600, Miami, FL. The procedure for obtaining a certified copy was not given in their website, so I called them. They did not pick up the call on the first try, but I did leave a detailed voicemail which was returned within half an hour. The lady explained that I need to submit a written letter requesting the passports be certified, along with the original passports, and a return envelope preferably one with tracking.

I prepared a free form letter, included by credit card number (American Express), expiration date, and the original passports and a return USPS Priority Mail envelope. The charge per certification was $20 USD. I sent the passports and the letter via USPS priority mail which was delivered the next day. A few days later, I got a call from the consulate that they do not prefer USPS Priority Mail for return because it does not have the stronger tracking methods as FedEx or UPS. I authorized them to charge my American Express card for the FedEx mailing. My original passports, the certified copies, and the return USPS envelope was delivered to me the next day by FedEx.

I have submitted the certified copies along with my W-7 form to IRS. I am anxiously waiting for a response.
Update as of August 2017:

There is an alternative to sending passports. Look for a Certifying Acceptance Agent near your area 
When you visit a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA), he/she will look at the passport and attest that it has been viewed, and pertinent details copied to the W-7 form. The CAA will also fill out the W-7 COA (Certificate of Accuracy) form essentially telling IRS that he (CAA) is allowed to verify the passport with IRS' permission.

Note: I am a Certified Acceptance Agent in the Phoenix area, and have successfully obtained ITINs for my clients. If you need help with ITINs, please come and see me or call me at 480-639-2030. I have served numerous clients over the years.

No comments: